AmpliPhi Biosciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of an internally generated pipeline of naturally occurring viruses called bacteriophage (phage) for the treatment of human bacterial infections. Phage-based therapy provides a unique and proven approach to treating a wide variety of bacterial infections and in particular, drug-resistant strains of bacteria that are commonly found in the hospital setting.
AmpliPhi is seeking a Staff Scientist to work full-time in its Richmond, Virginia laboratory. The successful candidate will possess strong laboratory skills and be a self-starter, with excellent communication and organizational skills. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Qualifications and skills:
- Laboratory microbiology experience is essential
- Previous experience working with bacteriophages or other viruses is highly desirable
- Experience with phage genomics and a variety of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria would be an advantage
- Experience using and writing a range of technical documents including SOPs, protocols and data reports
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Previous experience working for a biotechnology company or GXP regulated environment would be an advantage
- A clear and confident communicator who can provide concise discussion in person, by email and on conference calls
- A self-starter with good levels of motivation, able to work independently and in a small team
- Able to work quickly and accurately
- A logical and inquisitive mind
- A systematic approach to tasks
- Flexible and willing to respond to challenges and deadlines as they arise
- Good attention to detail and focus on seeing tasks through the completion
- Selection and screening of therapeutic phages against a variety of human pathogens
- Molecular and phenotypic analysis of phages and bacteria
- Maintaining accurate records on all activities conducted in the laboratory, and writing summary reports
- Recording, analysing and interpreting experimental data
- Responsibility for recording and tracking access to critical stocks and exchange of material between AmpliPhi sites and collaborators
- Preparing media and reagents, managing instrument calibration and maintenance and other general lab duties
Candidates must be authorized to live and work in the United States.